Post by Eowyn Langholf
Today's AJ Cousin Connection is Austrian neurologist and founding father of psychoanalysis, Sigmund Freud.
Some interesting things about Dr. Freud:
1. Freud was an avid smoker, first of cigarettes, and then he switched entirely to cigars. By 1923, he had developed cancer of the jaw. Physically sick and
tired, Freud committed suicide with the
help of his doctor and his daughter Anna, just 22 days after the
beginning of the World War II. He injected himself with a two-centigram
dose of morphine. This threw him into a coma from which he never awakened.
2. Freud considered himself an atheist and who thought God and
religion were illusions that blinded the masses, but interestingly was
extremely superstitious. He saw magical properties in
numbers. He often claimed that the numbers 23 and 28 appeared in
dates, telephone numbers and hotel reservations throughout his life. He
even predicted that he would die at 51, the result of adding 23 and 28. He was wrong about that though and died at the age of 83.
3. Sigmund Freud was a brilliant man. Not only
had he graduated from medical school and become a neurologist by the
time he was 30, he also spoke and/or read eight languages: German,
Hebrew, Latin, Greek, French, English, Spanish and Italian.
4. He said "Words have a magical power. They can bring either the greatest happiness
or deepest despair; they can transfer knowledge from teacher to
student; words enable the orator to sway his audience and dictate its
decisions. Words are capable of arousing the strongest emotions and
prompting all men’s actions."
5. He also said "The great question that has never been answered, and which I have not
yet been able to answer, despite my thirty years of research into the
feminine soul, is “What does a woman want?”"
AJ Jacobs and Sigmund Freud have 23 degrees of separation. Here's what that looks like:
Labels: Famous Cousins